Compaq Smart Array 4200 controller question

Andrew Heyn aheyn at jmsent.com
Wed Feb 2 07:37:07 PST 2005

Hi Matthew,

One of the drives reported an imminent failure a while ago,
and I replaced the to-fail drive.  I then saw the online light blinking.
After many hours of this, it went solid on, and the problems are still
happening.
I can only assume that the array finished rebuilding.  Even when rebooting,
the raid
controller doesn't make any (more) mention of rebuilding array.  It used to
when the
light was blinking.  This problem happens even with just one drive, and the
errors
aren't harmless, because the system will just hang and stop responding,
sometimes
the system doesn't recover and has to be power cycled.

I was going to use that program given to me, but untarring the kernel source
tree would
cause programs to hang indefinitely on biord...and then I wouldnt be able to
get it done.

In the mean time, I will try doing this to a memory device, instead of on
disk.

Does anybody have experience using non-"compaq certified" hard drives with
this controller?

Thanks,
Andrew