USB Keyboard Issues

Quinn Evans smokey at cableone.net
Tue Dec 20 11:29:27 PST 2005

Hello all,

	I recently migrated back to FreeBSD after a failed love affair with
Windows (long story, begins with games, ends with viruses), but now I'm
having some hardware issues.
	I'm trying to use a USB keyboard on 6.0-RELEASE, but it either simply
doesn't work, or works long enough to catch the first key I press and
repeat it 50 times. The odd thing is that when the USB keyboard is
connected, neither it nor the PS/2 keyboard work, but the PS/2 keyboard
resumes function as soon as I disconnect the USB keyboard.
	I've tried running kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 from rc.local, and I just
got a "/dev/kbd1: Device Busy", so I hypothesized that perhaps it was
because it was running that after usbd, so I set up a skeleton script
in /etc/rc.d that required DAEMON and provided usbkbd, then set usbd's
script to require usbkbd. Unfortunately, same error, different place.
	I've also tried connecting the keyboard as normal, through my KVM,
directly to the system, and directly to the system with the KVM
disconnected. Same problem, no joy.
	I'm completely stumped on this one, and I can't seem to find any
information. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would just use a
PS/2 keyboard, but that's not an option. I need this keyboard to work,
because it was a gift from my significant other.. I'd really rather not
hurt her feelings for her to see it in a box in the corner of the room.
If anyone needs a dmesg listing, I can provide that, I just didn't
provide it because of said keyboard troubles, but I hope I described
the problem thoroughly enough..

	Thanks In Advance,
		Quinn Evans