HDD

Ragnar Lonn ragnar at gatorhole.se
Tue Dec 20 10:13:37 PST 2005

Simon wrote:

>No moving parts would be nice but what about all the fans used for cooling?
>are you going to use something like water cooling?

I use a fanless power supply from Silverstone, a very large CPU heat
dissipator
called "Heatlane Zen" that can do without a CPU fan (but it will only handle
2.8 Ghz CPUs and if you don't use any fans at all, like me, I would say
it can cool
up to maybe 2.4 Ghz CPUs, not more), and a Radeon-something graphics card
with a heat pipe cooling system. So there are no fans whatsoever. I have
no computer
case but have mounted everything directly on the wall to give it better
air cicrulation.
The CPU and power supply go a little hotter than they should but not
overly much.

The only moving-part component is currently the hard drive, but that is
a very
silent Seagate drive housed in a plexiglass box so it doesn't make much
noise. If
you don't know what to listen for you won't notice that the computer is
on. The
hard drive makes a very low, humming noise, and the graphics card makes
a low,
wheezing sound (possibly the heat pipe) when it does 3D stuff. But these
sounds
are almost like a person breathing so it has to be really quiet or you
won't hear
them.

Next time I build a computer for home use I'll build my own heat
dissipators,
I think. If I make them really large and bulky (and with a lot of
surface area
of course), I should be able to cool things with no heatpipe noise at
all. And if
I then also use a flash drive I might be able to make the noise level
undetectable.

  /Ragnar