HDD

Ragnar Lonn ragnar at gatorhole.se
Tue Dec 20 06:48:25 PST 2005

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>Ragnar Lonn <ragnar at gatorhole.se> writes:
>

>>Sorry, didn't see the "today" in your sentence above... But it's
>>still a bit of a strange comment. 7 years from now, I don't think
>>people will be very interested to pay as much for a flash disk as
>>they did for an HDD *today*.
>>

>Why not?  People are happily paying as much today for a 4 GB flash
>chip as they did for a 4 GB hard disk seven or ten years ago.  If
>they're affordable and provide clear advantages over the cheaper
>alternatives, people will buy them.

Maybe you missed the start of this thread but we were discussing how
expensive flash
drives were and when, if ever, they'd be a reasonably priced alternative
to HDD's, so
I don't think people on this list at least would "happily" pay today's
prices.

I'd like that 96GB drive from memtech but they don't even have a quote
for it so I'd
guess it's not very cheap...

No, today you have to buy a small drive. 4 or 8GB, which doesn't allow
you to
install a lot of stuff before it's full, and use it as boot disk while
keeping the rest
of your data on a conventional HDD somewhere. I want a PC with no moving
parts and as few cables as possible so I'm going to go for that, and
some kind of
network disk mounted over WLAN I guess - does anyone have any experience
with
that and could recommend me some hardware?  Netgear (or was it D-link?)
has an AP to which you can connect USB harddrives and it will then act as a
fileserver (SMB) but I've heard it's not so reliable.

  /Ragnar