Printer Setup

cajfox at mail.bg cajfox at mail.bg
Wed Dec 7 13:21:49 PST 2005

I have a problem with the setup of a Canon S200x printer.
The
kernel detects the printer at ulpt0. I read the HANDBOOK -
to test the printer I must type lptest > /dev/ulpt0, which I
did. But nothing happend and I don't know what to do because
I read many articles about other people having the same
problem, but nobody told me how to solve it. What are the
things that I miss, if any? Someone on a Forum wrote that,
because lptest supports only old models of printers, I must
use ghostscript (which I don't know how to use) or another
similar program to test the printer. I installed CUPS, but
when I configured it and everything looked fine, I pressed
"print" and a progress bar (on GIMP) showed up, reached the
end and disappeared. I think that this means the system send
a call to the printer. Is this what it means? But the
printer
(like with lptest) did not respond. I have plugged in all
the cables. HELP!