com1 incorrectly associated with ttyd1, com2 with ttyd0

Joe Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Mon Dec 5 20:06:57 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:58:04PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> It's not clear that disabling in the BIOS should disable for all OSes.

What?  That's a fairly weird interpretation.  If I want to disable inside a
given OS, I do that inside the OS.  If I want to disable for _ALL_ OSes,
then I disable in the BIOS.  What reasonable logic can argue otherwise?

> Don't know.  I avoid ACPI if possible :-).  I suspect that FreeBSD can see
> ACPI tables but not all BIOS tables, so any soft disabling in the BIOS gets
> lost.

Can you really use everything without ACPI?  What is lost by disabling ACPI?
Don't you lose power-down support at the least?
(I did look for a FAQ on ACPI and found darn little)

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek