Dell Optiplex GX280

Michael Lovitt lovitt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 08:29:29 PDT 2005

Yes, I bought a GX280 a few weeks ago and installed 5.3 on it. It's
running with no problems. SATA hard drive, network card, USB devices,
and video card all detected automatically. (I have the small form
factor model with the 915G Express chipset and GMA900 integrated
graphics card.)

I ran into one hitch during install, where my USB keyboard wasn't
immediately detected (there are no PS/2 slots, so USB is the only
choice). But it's a known problem and the fix is easy. See this page:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/errata.html

Here's the relevant bit:

----

(31 Oct 2004, updated on 5 Nov 2004) For FreeBSD/i386 and
FreeBSD/amd64, when installing FreeBSD 5.3 using an USB keyboard the
keyboard will stop working once the kernel boots, because a PS/2
keyboard is always considered to be attached. As a workaround, select
``Escape to loader prompt'' in the boot loader menu and enter the
following lines at the prompt:

set hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"
boot
Note that if you use the boot floppies, this is set by default.

After the installation, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:

hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"

----

Good luck.

Michael