Max memory + swap

Alessandro de Manzano demanzano at playstos.com
Wed Sep 29 00:42:35 PDT 2004

Tuesday, September 28, 2004, 10:13:34 AM, ha scritto:

>> I was thinking of installing 1 Gb of RAM plus another Gigabytes of
>> swap.

PE> 'pstat -s' will tell you if you need more phy. ram.

Of course, but since I'm planning to buy this new server just now I'ld
add more RAM on its list, instead of buying it after few weeks.

>> (without PAE or similar things, it's a "normal" P4 machine)

PE> You have to use kernel PAE option if your fbsd4.x box should be able to
PE> use anything above 4gb of ram. The installation can se the total amount
PE> of ram, but can't use it - unless you compile the kernel with PAE option.

so you too confirm swap space is NOT included in this math ?
2 Gb RAM + 4 Gb swap would work without enabling PAE ?

I'm afraid of PAE because of some "glitches" I read about with some HD
controller drivers. Without PAE I feel more "safe" :)
This will be a _very_ critical production server and I'm just taking
all precautions I can in order to gain maximum availabily and
stability.

PE> Don't know about limits in fbsd5.x but I'm sure it's "fixed".

Unfortunately for my purposes 5.x is not yet an option, also if I'm
waiting 5.3-rel. for start an our own internal test program :)

>> Anyone with similar experiences could, please, remember me actual
>> limits ?

PE> I run production serveres fbsd4.10 with 4gb of ram and with PAE compiled
PE> into the kernel.

How much swap space do you have configured, if any ?
May I ask you, if possible, which HD controller drivers are you using
? (reply in private mail if you think it's better ;) )

PE> P.S. don't cross-post a thread to several liste like you've done with
PE> this one. Stick to one and only one list. People are kind enough to
PE> point you to another list if you're on the wrong one.

Yep, sorry but I was not sure which list was the correct one for my
question ;) :(

Many thanks !!

--

Alessandro de Manzano