Geode based PC/104 micro board and FreeBSD

Alex K lesha at intercaf.ru
Mon Sep 20 12:13:13 PDT 2004

Hello, everyone!

Recently I've got PCM-5820 single board computer with Geode GX1-300 CPU.
Mine is with 32M ram and 512M Compact Flash mapped to secondary IDE master.
I have tried numerous times to install FreeBSD on it, but it hangs right after
startup. I have tried 4.8, 5.2.1, and CURRENT, everything same :(
I have also tried FreeSBIE LiveCD. If I boot it into single user mode, it is
not dying. But during normal startup it is dying on 1st curses screen, right
after selecting keyboard layout.  Same with FreeBSD installation, dies right
after "Probing devices, this can take a while... " dissapears.

If I install FreeBSD to CF card on other PC and use this CF card to boot
this machine, it will lockup 5-15 seconds after I login to it on the console.

Any ideas how I can track down this problem?
There are no panics, nothing, just a hardware lockup.
I have tried tweaking all the avaible settings in BIOS.

Windoze ME runs fine on it, even off Compact Flash card.

For those who wants to see "the exterior":
        http://www.intercaf.ru/~lesha/server.jpg

Cheers, AL.

p.s. Please CC me!

--
perl -e 'print unpack("u","1;&5S:&%`:6YT97)C868N<G4`");'