Installing on AMD64 without PS/2 keyboard

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Sep 10 13:54:31 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 04:46:43PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 10 September 2004 04:14 pm, David Aquilina wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE and/or the latest 5.3-BETA
> > on an AMD64 box I have (both releases exhibit the same behavior). I am
> > running into a fairly serious problem, however - the system does not
> > have any PS/2 ports, only USB.
> >
> > FreeBSD sees a phantom keyboard on kbd0 when the USB keyboard is
> > plugged in, and the real keyboard on kbd1. Sysinstall only uses kbd0,
> > however. To add insult, the keyboard works just fine in the loader,
> > however as soon as the kernel starts loading the keyboard is ignored.
> >
> > I've tried mucking with the BIOS's USB Legacy Keyboard option, but it
> > doesn't alter FreeBSD's behavior any.
> >
> > I've also tried using device hints to disable atkbd.0 and atkbdc.0,
> > however they also seem to be ignored.
>
> Add a hint to set the flags on atkbd.0 to "1" so it tries to probe the
> keyboard instead of assuming it is present.  I.e.
>
> set hint.atkbd.0.flags="1"

I've only got an i386 ISO at the moment, but I'd appreciate it if you
would try booting the ISO here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/6.0-CURRENT-i386-bootonly.iso.bz2

This adds that flag back to /boot/devices.hints on the install media
so you should be able to install.  Recent devd.conf changes should let
you work in multi-user mode if you manage to get installed.  What we
really need to do is have keyboard mux in the kernel so we can use all
the keyboards by default.  For now, we'll have to live with hacks since
both modes are useful in different environments.

-- Brooks