Installing on AMD64 without PS/2 keyboard

David Aquilina dwaquilina at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 13:15:06 PDT 2004

Greetings all,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE and/or the latest 5.3-BETA
on an AMD64 box I have (both releases exhibit the same behavior). I am
running into a fairly serious problem, however - the system does not
have any PS/2 ports, only USB.

FreeBSD sees a phantom keyboard on kbd0 when the USB keyboard is
plugged in, and the real keyboard on kbd1. Sysinstall only uses kbd0,
however. To add insult, the keyboard works just fine in the loader,
however as soon as the kernel starts loading the keyboard is ignored.

I've tried mucking with the BIOS's USB Legacy Keyboard option, but it
doesn't alter FreeBSD's behavior any.

I've also tried using device hints to disable atkbd.0 and atkbdc.0,
however they also seem to be ignored.

In desperation, I set up a serial console to try and run the installer
that way. The system boots, however nothing happens after this point:

md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4194304 bytes at 0xffffffff808e4ba0
ad0: 78533MB <HDS722580VLAT20/V32OA63A> [159560/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
ATAPI_RESET time = 50us
acd0: CDRW <AOPEN COM5232/AAH/1.06> at ata1-master UDMA33
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
David Aquilina