RAID 5 Adapters and FreeBSD 5.2.1

adam at otterycomputers.com adam at otterycomputers.com
Fri May 21 07:48:55 PDT 2004

Hey Guys,

My aim is to have FreeBSD 5.2.1 running on my system with 3 x 80GB IDE Hard
disks in a RAID 5 configuration.
I want FreeBSD 5.x becuase my machine is a Multi-processor and I want to take
advantage of the SMP code in 5.x.

My question is this - whats the best way to acheive this?

Should I use Vinum to acheive the Raid 5 bit, or whats this new Geom thingy,
also I would prefer a RAID adapter card providing they are cheap enough
(because the performance is better in hardware, isnt it?) ?

Also what is the support for SATA like, Ideally I would like to have SATA Hard
Disks. I had consulted the HCL for FreeBSD 5.2.1 but it seems incomplete as it
doesnt list the Intel ICH5 SATA controller yet I know this works fine!
Two products look interesting which could help me here, but i am unsure of the
support for FreeBSD, could someone tell me whether either of these two products
are suppored and if not recommend something that is -

1) Promise FastTrak S150 SX4.

2) Promise FastTrak SX4000 Lite.

Thanks Adam Retter