Motherboard w/ ECC?

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Fri Mar 26 16:21:56 PST 2004

Hi,

Rob Ellis wrote:

>How important is ECC ram for a FreeBSD server? We've gone with Asus

I think, it has nothing to do with FreeBSD. ECC just makes you sleep better.

>motherboards in the past, but most new ones don't support ECC...
>
>If ECC is important, any recommendations for a motherboard that supports
>AMD Athlon + ECC?

I suggest always to use ECC as an additional level of safety.

We use Tyan motherboards out of the Thunder series. They have all you
need for a server on board. There is the Tiger series if you do not need
all the features of the Thunders.

We have had once in a while problems with newly released boards and
their BIOS'. An update from Tyan's site helped always.

Erich.