Multiprocessor system VS one processor system

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Mon Mar 15 22:59:21 PST 2004

> Hm..
> Let me make up  a case.
>  Two boxes:
> 1) Dual CPU  X Mhz with Y KB of cache
> 2) Sinnge CPU with 2X Mhz and 2Y KB of cache
>
> Which one is faster under FreeBSD? I think the
> second one, because SMP overhead is gone.

There is also a context switching overhead for single CPU, isn't there?
And, if you're talking about P4's - yes, they have larger L2 cahce, but
their L1 cache is smaller compared to PIII's. When working simultaneously
on dual-CPU system, 2 separate processes can store more of their own data
in the faster L1 cache.

Timestamp: 0x4056A434
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/