5.2.1-RELEASE hangs after 'agp0: <Intel 82865 host to AGP bridge> mem 0-0x7ffffff at device 0.0 on pci0'

Lowell Gilbert lgusenet at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Mar 12 05:51:32 PST 2004

lukas at razik.de writes:

> My system (laptop):
> CPU: P4 3.06GHz (HT enabled)
> Chipset: Intel 82865G/PE/P, 828485P DRAM Controller
> Graphic adapter: GF FX Go5350
>

> Hi!!!
>
> If I try to boot from the '5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso' the kernel hangs after outputting this message (with
> verbose logging):
> agp0: <Intel 82865 host to AGP bridge> mem 0-0x7ffffff at device 0.0 on pci0
> agp0: allocating GATT for aperture of size 128M
>
> Is there a way to start the kernel without AGP support?

No.  This is something of a problem, because some AGP implementations
(including the one on my laptop) will lock up or crash during the
AGP probe.  In my case, I confirmed that the AGP device was definitely
flaky, because the CPU locked up on a simple register read.  I
corresponded a bit with FreeBSD's main AGP developer, but we didn't
get much of anywhere.  I documented the problems in my system at
http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/systuff/laptop-problems.html

One thing you can do is start the install from floppies, which have a
more minimal kernel, without AGP.  If that ever changes, some of us
will have a real problem.  I don't really understand why AGP should be
in the GENERIC kernel, anyway, since it loads fine as a module, but I
don't want to make too much of a fuss.  After all, I *did* get my
system going, albeit through a procedure that's clearly too much to
expect of a first-time user.

> I had the same problem with NetBSD 1.6.2 but after disabling APM and AGP all works fine...

Try disabling ACPI on FreeBSD 5.2.1.  That may leave your AGP chip a
little less confused...