Hitachi vs Seagate: Opinions wanted

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Tue Jun 29 21:47:25 PDT 2004

Hi,

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Since I can't say I've ever had a complaint (other then the U320
> firmware fiasco that Seagate did fix), I'm wondering if there is that
> much of a difference with the Hitachi's to warrant the extra ~$50/drive
> ... ?

As you have heard from the others already, Hitachi is not a good choice.

We use Fujitsu sind the mid-eighties without any problems except some
early failures. Fujitsu did verz bad IDE drives but their SCSI drives
are outstanding good.

We also have one customer who took Seagates as Fujitsu drives were out
of stock that time and he also has no problems.

Erich