Hitachi vs Seagate: Opinions wanted

randall ehren randall at ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 29 11:23:26 PDT 2004

> I've always used Seagate or Quantum drives in my servers ... with the
> recent thought about switching to Dual-Athlon servers, from Intel, and the
> caveats about both heat and power that I've had, its been recommended
> switching to Hitachi drives from the usual Seagate ... also, apparently
> the failure rates are higher on the Seagate's are much higher then the
> Hitachi ...
>
> Since I can't say I've ever had a complaint (other then the U320 firmware
> fiasco that Seagate did fix), I'm wondering if there is that much of a
> difference with the Hitachi's to warrant the extra ~$50/drive ... ?

if you've always used seagate and they have always worked, then why switch?

we are a 100% seagate shop here, with the exception of when dell decides to
use ibm/hitachi drives instead of seagate. those are often the drives that
fail and i always make a note to dell requesting a seagate drive.

if you're building a custom box, http://www.rackmountpro.com/ sells some
nice 2U cases with 6 drives bays and a hot-swap backplane for whatever type
of drive you plan to install.

 -randall

--
      randall s. ehren       :// 805.893.5632
       systems administrator :// isber.ucsb.edu