Problems with a MS Wireless USB Mouse

Matt Wright matt at consultmatt.co.uk
Sat Jun 26 10:06:11 PDT 2004

Hi People,

I've just loaded fbsd 5.2 up on my pc. I seem to be having to cross many
bridges. After having got my wireless card sort of working I discovered
that my mouse doesn't work.

After a lot of piddling about in the ums code I find that the format
that the mouse sends its data in is different of that to a wired MS
mouse I have. When ums_intr receives packets of data off my wired mouse
it reports 3 hex values such as:

00 01 ff

Where the first is related to what button you have pressed, the second
is the x-direction and the third is the y-axis. However the wireless
mouse gives off something different. I altered ums_intr to report the
first four hex values. The data is of the same format above except
shifted by one:

00 00 01 ff
^^
??

It has an extra value here. Now if I understand things properly the
values can be in different places because the HID report is supposed to
tell you where the data is?? I assume because the mouse works in windows
and in Linux that the HID report is ok, in which case does anyone have
any ideas on whats wrong??

Regards,

Matt