[freebsd-amd64] Possible 3ware 8506-12 SATA Controller issues...

James R. Van Artsalen james at jrv.org
Tue Jun 22 19:00:09 PDT 2004

Peter Losher wrote:

>>You might want to upgrade to twe in -CURRENT, and see if that
>>makes a difference.
>>

>Tried compiling a 5.2.1 kernel w/ the twe driver plopped from -CURRENT
>cvsup'ed 30 minutes ago, and it didn't go to well:

5.2.1-release w/8506-8 seems to work for me on AMD64 with 8 GB of RAM in
a Tyan S2885 with two Opteron 248 CPUs in a slot jumpered to 64/66 PCI
rather than PCI-X.

I'm not trying to use any twe-specific monitoring tools and haven't
tested to see if the twe driver notices disk errors.

I believe that the driver does not handle more than 4 GB of RAM and
requires bounce-buffers.

Testing consisted of running "make buildworld" in a loop with a kernel
building in a loop at the same; see if it's still running after a week
and fsck is clean.