LCD monitors / ADD Cards / Motherboards with DVI-D interface --Support in *BSD

Constantine cnst at rbcmail.ru
Fri Jun 11 17:05:41 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have a FreeBSD system running on AOpen AX4G-N motherboard with Intel
845G(+ICH4) chipset. I don't yet have any monitor on the system and I
have very little experience with configuring and running X on UNIX
systems, and I have never configured X with LCD monitors.

I'm considering buying an LCD monitor, presumably IBM L170p.

I am still looking for the hardware with the DVI support. I found that
probably what I want is the ADD Card (AGP Digital Display Card), but I
have problems locating resellers for that card, so any help is welcome
(one example of such card is here:
<http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/add.htm>). I reside in the United States.

What problems am I likely to experience with the configuration of the
graphics card and LCD monitor in FreeBSD and/or OpenBSD? I'd really like
to have a clear, crisp picture on the new system, no matter if I am
going to use it as a console or a GUI system. If you have any advices or
good links, let me know.

Thank you,
Constantine. :-)