RTL 8180L Wireless Network Card or Recommendations

adam at otterycomputers.com adam at otterycomputers.com
Thu Jun 10 15:15:44 GMT 2004

Hi Guys,

Im not having much luck.

Initially I bought a D-Link G520+ WLAN card without checking the support and
later found that it is not supported under FreeBSD although I have plans to try
and change this ;-).

I am now trying a Q-Tec 774WP WLAN card which is actually a RTL 8180L chipset.
This also seems to be unsupported? Has anyone had this card work for them?

pciconf -lv shows:

Class=0x020000
Card=0x818010ec
Chip=0x818010ec
rev=0x20
hdr=0x0
RTL 8180L IEEE 802.11b Wireless Mac and broadband processor

Above all else I would like to get a wireless network between two FeeBSD2.1
machines working ASAP. One will act as an Gateway to a wired Ethernet.

Can someone please recommend a 54mbps or even better a 108mbps card that will
definetly work with FreeBSD 5.2.1. Cost is also somewhat of a concern.

Thanks Adam.