How to Format 1MB Floppy

Daniel Ellard ellard at eecs.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 7 13:02:24 GMT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Adam Retter wrote:

> Also someone mentioned that these 1mb disks only format as 720kb - is
> that true?

That was probably me...  What I meant is that there's a built-in
option to newfs_msdos for 720K disks, but I don't think there's one
for 1MB disks.  If you want to use the entire disk, and the 1MB is the
real size (not some phony marketing size) then you'll need to specify
the geometry to the disk explicitly.  You'll need to get this from
the disk vendor, I guess.

Given that it sounds like nothing is working: have you tried a different
disk, or a different drive?  Maybe it's a hardware problem.

-Dan