Project Evil: The Evil Continues

Bill Paul wpaul at FreeBSD.ORG
Sun Jan 25 16:53:27 PST 2004

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 07:49:00PM -0800, Bill Paul wrote:
> <snip>
> > If you have a system with one of these chipsets, please give the
> > NDISulator a try. Note: you do NOT have to recompile your kernel to
> > test it. Find the .sys and .inf files from your Windows driver media
> > and do the following:
> >
> > # cp foo.sys foo.inf /sys/modules/if_ndis
> > # cd /sys/modules/ndis
> > # make; make load
> > # cd /sys/modules/if_ndis
> > # ndiscvt -i foo.inf -s foo.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h
> > # make; make load
> >
> > You don't even have to reboot. Well, not unless the driver causes
> > a panic. :/
> >
> <snip>
>
> Please correct me if i'm wrong but does this mean you can only use one single
> instance of the ndis driver? If this stuff is really working i think we should
> see more instances of the ndis, true?  example a wireless card and a onboard
> ethernet? Maybe more. How can you work around that problem?

Yes you're wrong: you can use more than one NDIS driver. Say you want
"bwe" (broadcom wireless) and "iwe" (Intel wireless) devices on the same
machine:

# mkdir /sys/modules/if_bwe
# mkdir /sys/modules/if_iwe
# cp /sys/modules/if_ndis/Makefile /sys/modules/if_bwe
# cp /sys/modules/if_ndis/Makefile /sys/modules/if_iwe
# cp bwe.sys bwe.inf /sys/modules/if_bwe
# cp iwe.sys iwe.inf /sys/modules/if_iwe
# cd /sys/modules/if_bwe
# ndiscvt -n bwe -i bwe.inf -s bwe.sys ndis_driver_data.h
# make
# cp if_ndis.ko if_bwe.ko
# cd /sys/modules/if_iwe.ko
# ndiscvt -n iwe -i iwe.inf -s iwe.sys ndis_driver_data.h
# make
# cp if_ndis.ko if_iwe.ko

You now have both if_bwe.ko and if_iwe.ko drivers.

> It's just a thought, nothing more, i really like this thing because it helps
> using strange hardware buildin laptops for example. Really cool stuff.

You should have read the ndiscvt(8) man page before asking.

Now, is anyone going to actually test Project Evil with their
cards like I asked, or is everyone just going to use this as an excuse
to ask me questions?

-Bill