Conexant HCF 56k PCI modem help

Gary Corcoran garycor at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 22:26:56 PST 2004

Rick,

> For a project, our customer wants to use these 56k PCI modems from
> Creative.  Although not my first choice, I did some research and discovered
> that the modems use a Conexant Systems, Inc. (vendor id 0x14F1) SmartHCF
> 56k chip (device id 0x1059).  It is not a "winmodem"; the HCF family is
> "Controllerless" vs. the HSF "software" chipsets.

I can't help you directly with your problem, but perhaps a clarification
might help you or someone else understand the problem better.  If the modem
you have is "controllerless", then it *IS* a "winmodem".  It needs a "windows"
(or equivalent) driver to emulate the missing controller.  If it's both
controllerless *and* DSP-less, then it's a "softmodem".  That is, a softmodem
is one that does *everything* (except the actual Analog-to-Digital and Digital
-to-Analog conversions) in software.  So a softmodem needs realtime Digital
Signal Processing code (as well as the controller emulation code) that runs
on your host CPU.

Gary