HP DL360 G3 Hangs on Disk Removal

Paul Lutt paul at fluke.com
Sat Jan 24 08:47:07 PST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Paul Lutt wrote:
> > What I got was a system that wasn't totally locked up, but it could not
> > perform any disk access.  I had a shell open on the console.  Pressing
> > enter would bring up a new prompt.  Trying to do anything that required
> > reading the disk would cause the shell to hang.
>
> I've seen this with the ida(4) driver as well, though only on re-insertion
> of a hotswap disk.  Failure was the same.  With the system cracked open
> and the status LEDs on the controller available for viewing you could see
> when the controller locked up.
>
> After going over the driver and instrumenting the interrupt handler and
> installing a watchdog timeout routine I see no way that this condition
> could be caused by the driver, unless we're supposed to be doing something
> that we don't know about.
>
> What model CISS card do you have?
>
> --
> 10 40 80 C0 00 FF FF FF FF C0 00 00 00 00 10 AA AA 03 00 00 00 08 00

lspci shows the following (Yes, I've installed Debian in the interim)

00:04.0 RAID bus controller: Compaq Computer Corporation Smart Array
5i/532 (rev 01)

This is all a bit frustrating because I have several Linux based Proliant
servers with the CISS hardware and they behave properly when the disk is
removed and re-inserted.  We also have LOTS of Windows based servers that
behave properly given the same test.  Makes me suspect some sort of driver
issue.

Paul Lutt
Fluke Corporation