HP DL360 G3 Hangs on Disk Removal

Matthew N. Dodd mdodd at FreeBSD.ORG
Sat Jan 24 02:43:21 PST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Paul Lutt wrote:
> What I got was a system that wasn't totally locked up, but it could not
> perform any disk access.  I had a shell open on the console.  Pressing
> enter would bring up a new prompt.  Trying to do anything that required
> reading the disk would cause the shell to hang.

I've seen this with the ida(4) driver as well, though only on re-insertion
of a hotswap disk.  Failure was the same.  With the system cracked open
and the status LEDs on the controller available for viewing you could see
when the controller locked up.

After going over the driver and instrumenting the interrupt handler and
installing a watchdog timeout routine I see no way that this condition
could be caused by the driver, unless we're supposed to be doing something
that we don't know about.

What model CISS card do you have?

--
10 40 80 C0 00 FF FF FF FF C0 00 00 00 00 10 AA AA 03 00 00 00 08 00