bfe driver problem with 5.2.1

Magnus Johansson mj at attra.nu
Thu Feb 26 04:08:00 PST 2004

I have installed 5.2.1-release on a Centrino laptop with an integrated
Broadcom 4401 nic, which is supported by the bfe driver. But the driver
gives an error message on boot

bfe0: <Broadcom BCM4401 Fast Ethernet> mem 0xe0200000-0xe020lfff irq 10
at device 5.0 on pci 2
bfe0: couldn't map memory
device_probe_and_attach: bfe0 attach returned 6

"couldn't map memory", according to the bfe man page, is a "fatal
initialization error". So, am I just to give up on using FreeBSD on this
laptop, or is there some solution to this problem around? Googling about
it and searching mailing lists and forums hasn't helped.

I tried using it with Slackware 9.1 and kernel 2.6.3 without any trouble
at all, so the nic can't be broken. I'm using GENERIC kernel on a fresh
install.

Please cc answers to me, since I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks.
--
Magnus Johansson