USB serial dongles

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 10 10:39:09 PST 2004

On 2004.02.10 18:27:59 +0000, Baldur Gislason wrote:
> How can I use USB->RS232 converter dongles in FreeBSD?

Plug it in, and use it ;-).

Well, you might also need to load the appropriate driver as a kernel
module if you haven't compiled it into your kernel.  I just kldload ucom
(generic USB <-> serial driver) and uplcom (driver for my USB serial
adapter) and then I can use /dev/ucom0 as a normal serial device.

Watch the kernel console output (e.g. with dmesg) to see if the devices
is detected correctly).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team