via EPIA motherboard

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Fri Feb 6 03:14:54 PST 2004

On 06 févr. 2004, at 11:31, Holger Hoffmann wrote:

> > My main purpose is to setup a small, fanless multimedia playback
> freebsd
> > box, so any piece of info is valuable (driver support, computational
> > power, tv-output problems, ...)

> Did that with the 500Mhz box, playing DivX was ok but definitely not
> good. I have to admit that I used a "quick and dirty" approach and
> took advantage of X and xine/mplayer instead of looking for stuff that
> e.g. might work without X neither did I tweak any parameters or
> switched off deamons I didn't need. So I guess you _can_ make it run
> faster/smoother/better than I did almost "out of the box".

ok, so I guess the M6000 should be quite ok with a carefully tuned
kernel/system (and it has really better video than the 500 model
according to the review mentionned earlier).
Also, I suppose I could go with a M9000 and slow fans, but I try to get
rid of noise.

> Problems: read the handbook, took me almost a day to figure out why
> TV-out wasn't working when I saw that you have to change a jumper so
> that the plug changes from SPIF (or whatever) sound to TV-out.
> I used the video drivers provided by VIA for X Free on (I think) Red
> Hat Linux without any problems.

Ok, thanks a lot!

patpro
--
je cherche un poste d'admin-sys Mac/UNIX
(ou une jeune et jolie femme riche)