Looking for remote console access card that works with FreeBSD

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 5 06:58:44 PST 2004

I'm looking for a remote console card that will work with FreeBSD 5.2 or
-current.  The machine is a Dell Poweredge 2450.

By remote console card, I'm referring to a PCI card that uses a separate
network connection so that you can remotely access the equivalent of a
serial console via a web browser or telnet/ssh session.  Essentially, I
need to have remote access to single user mode on a collocated box.

I know that AMI makes such cards (MegaRAC G2), but I don't know if they
will work with FreeBSD.  I checked the hardware compatibility list on
the web site, but there was no mention of such cards.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com