SATA RAID Cards + FBSD 4.9

Guy Dawson guy at crossflight.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 03:34:13 PST 2004

Elshar wrote:

> I spent some time sifting through the mailing lists for information about
> SATA RAID cards, and how well they are supported by FBSD 4.9. But I
> couldn't find a definitive answer to my question.

I don't think there is a definate yes answer out there at the moment!

You might be able to provide one though!

> I'm looking to find out if anyone has much experience with running 4.9 and
> SATA RAID, and if so what specific cards/chipsets/etc worked well. In
> particular, I'd like to know if anyone has tried hardware that supports
> RAID 0+1, or just plain RAID 0 and how well it performed in 4.9 if at all.

As far as I know 4.9 does not support any ATA style driver interface SATA raid
cards.

> I'm not interested in 5-RELEASE, as this will be a production machine.

We have 4.5 (internal) and 4.9 (internet facing) production boxes so are
in a similar position.

> Most of the info I've seen so far was either too vague for my liking, or
> was talking about SATA in relation to 5.x.

Agreed.

You might have missed the following on this mailing list:

Samuel Clements wrote:

 > >> The Intel SRCS14L is also supported. http://www.intel.com/design/server
 > >> /buildingblocks/srcs14l/ This should use the same driver (iir) as the
 > >> U32's which we use all over the place. The management software (storcon)
 > >> looks just like the BIOS of the card when you run it! Pretty neat.  You
 > >> should be able to pick one up retail for about $290US.
 > >

 > > So, putting my dumb head on for a moment...
 > >
 > > Intel have made a hardware SATA RAID card which looks to a device driver
 > > just like an already supported U320 RAID card. Cool!
 >

 > As I understand it, yes. Not being a guru about this kind of stuff, I
 > don't know the in's and out's of doing this, but this was one of the
 > big deals about the Intel RAID controllers - they all used the same
 > drivers and firmware (being based on the ICP Vortex design and software,
 > you'd expect that!). You could swap controllers and models of controllers
 > (even in Windows 2000!) and the machines would just work. The latest Intel
 > RAID controller (U42X) breaks this model and I don't believe it is yet
 > supported in FreeBSD. Something about a new RAID architecture on this
 > and 'all future controllers'. For now though, the S14L should be a
 > good-to-go hardware RAID controller for FreeBSD.

Looking on the interl WWW site for driver info I found this:

ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/5156/ENG/FreeBSD%20readme%20205.txt

So it looks like the SRCS14L is a SATA raid card that looks like an
already supported U320 RAID card to the OS. It uses the iir driver
which is now stock with FreeBSD 4.9. If I were looking to build a
SATA RAIDed server I'd buy one of these cards on the expecation that
it would work. OFf course until someone tries it we don't know for
sure...

Fancy being a data point?

Regards,
Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson                    I.T. Manager              Crossflight Ltd
guy at crossflight.co.uk         07973  797819                01753 776104

This email contains the views and opinions of a Crossflight Limited
employee and at this stage are in no way a direct representation of
Crossflight Limited.
the system manager. To ensure the integrity and appropriate use of
its email system, Crossflight Limited reserves the right to examine
any email held on its email system or sent to or from it.
We strongly recommend that you check this email with your own virus
software as Crossflight Limited will not be held responsible for any
damage caused by viruses as a result of opening this email.