4.9-R on IBM xSeries 305 or Dell PowerEdge 650?

Tom tom at sdf.com
Tue Feb 3 10:36:17 PST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Jim Zajkowski wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2004, at 6:02 PM, Doug White wrote:
>
> > I have an x335 here, which apart from the keyboard not working due to
> > ACPI
> > wierdness, functions properly otherwise.  Works as expected with ACPI
> > disabled.
>
> On my x335's I've found:
>
> a. I needed to disable ACPI too.
>
> b. On 5.1 I needed to step down the number of open tags (camcontrol
> tags) to 32 or less to prevent the whole thing from locking up.

  I think this would be heavily dependent on the type of drives that are
installed, and which controller they are connected to?  Are you using a
RAID controller?

> c. On 4.9 I needed to not enable the HTT "processors" or I got sluggish
> performance.  The real SMP processors work fine.

  Probably an Intel issue.  I understand that Intel has been making
incremental improvements to Hyperthreading.  In early hyperthreading,
enabling it could incur significant processor latency.  What kind of
processor did you order with your x335?

> Same for you?
>
> --Jim

Tom