Marvell 88E8001 on sk0 and RELENG_5_3 - big problems

Daniel Hyde daniel.hyde at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 14:39:34 PST 2004

I've got a gigabyte's GA-8IPE775-PRO motherboard which I believe has
the same onboard ethernet card.  I too had zero luck obtaining an IP
address with dhcp (dhclient); however the card works fine if you
forget dhcp and assign it an IP address statically using ifconfig.

If you know the range of IPs your DHCP server reserves for its own use
(or if, like, me, it's your local router that's assigning you an IP in
a private range), just make freebsd claim an IP of its own that's
within the same subnet, but not within DHCP's range, so that it
doesn't clash with other DHCP clients.

For example, my LAN uses 192.168.1.n as its private IP space.  The
gateway/router is 192.168.1.1, and it assigns IPs 100-253 via DHCP.
So, I just told ifconfig to grab 192.168.1.90, and it's fine.

Couldn't give you the exact configuration steps now, as I'm at work
and thus on a different machine.  But if you want them, give me a
holler and I'll see if I can remember what I did when I get home. :)

Daniel