DUAL PROC NOT RECONIZED

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 13 16:23:57 PST 2004

On Monday, 13 December 2004 at 10:34:45 -0800, GG wrote:
> Hello fellow nixians:
>
> My problem is, in Dmesg|grep CPU, im not showing my second
> processor.  I have a proliant 7000 compaq server with 2 procs
> installed, and room for four. I did a custom kernel as well as SMP
> default options included (uncommented) from GENERIC. My current
> kernel, which is a go, built/installed fine, no errors. So first of
> all, what is the command to see if I have two procs installed posted
> to terminal, and second, if 2nd cpu1 is not showing, what is the
> next step? Build World? Very confusing reading some of the
> documents, nothing conrete nor clear how to do so.  It appears that
> it should just recognize both cpu0 and cpu1, but it isnt. Lastely,
> in TOP, I am not able to get cpu0 display at all. Howto would be
> appreciated, any command you suggest, I surely will be able to
> follow. Anything you type, is greatly appreciated, and I am a firmly
> addicted to FREEBSD and promote it to all DOZe users I come accross.

This isn't a hardware issue.  You'd be better off asking this question
on the FreeBSD-questions mailing list.  Give some information about
what you're trying to do, what happens, and how you're sure that the
second processor is not recognized.

FWIW, I'm currently running 5.2.1-RELEASE on a ProLiant 6500R with 4
processors.  It installed out of the box and recognized all 4
processors.

Greg