FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE doesn't boot up on amd64

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at freemail.hu
Sat Dec 11 03:15:33 PST 2004

Hello,

I'd downloaded the official 5.3-RELEASE for amd64, but it didn't boot. The
loader stops working at the line starting with root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu.

The hardware is the following:
MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nVidia nForce3 250Gb)
AMD Athlon64 3200+ Socket939
3ware 8506-4lp RAID controller with a RAID 5 array, consisting of 3 Samsung
SATA disks

I thought, that this failure is due to the RAID array, but even if I'm
right, FreeBSD must get to the bootmenu at least, I think, but it doesn't.
(OpenBSD booted, but didn't see the RAID array.)

Thus, I've got no more idea now. Please help me, I must solve this trouble
asap, the server must be in the servers' room in January.

Best regards,

	Gabor Kovesdan

P.S.: I get the same effect with the i386 version of 5.3-RELEASE.