802.11g pci card recommendations?

StefanEßer se at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 2 15:05:42 PST 2004

On 2004-12-02 16:36 +1100, Daniel Hyde <daniel.hyde at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking of going for a card supporting WPA encryption for forward
> compatibility.  My gateway/router supports both WPA and WEP; however
> my flatmate's card supports only WEP.  Thus, at this point in time,
> WPA support on my card is somewhat redundant in that its benefits will
> basically be eliminated by running the gateway in a WEP-compatible
> mode.
>
> My flatmate's card is a NetGear WG311 v2.  Up until last night I was
> expecting I'd probably get one of these, since the WG311 is listed on
> the supported hardware page. Then we discovered that the v2 is based
> on a different chipset that is not compatible with the ath driver!
> (Why, oh why did they not change the model number when they changed
> the chipset?)
>
> So, now I'm not quite game to just buy a card and hope for the best:
> I'd like to know before I purchase what's going to work and what's
> not.  Any recommendations or general advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

I've got a Netgear WG311T, which is supported by both the ath driver
and the NDIS wrapper.

A cheaper Atheros based solution appears to be the Allnet ALL0281 for
33 Euro / US$45 (i.e. about half the price of the WG311T), but I have
never used that one ...

See:
	http://www.allnet.de/kontakt.php
	http://www.allnet-usa.com/html/shop.php