plot.thickness++ (Re: Core dump with tip (ucom0 -> external modem))

Mike Hunter mhunter at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Apr 27 11:29:25 PDT 2004

I got an interesting clue by trying ECU.  Check this out:

ECU is a dialer type program.  I told it to use /dev/ucom0 to dial my desk
phone number, and it showed itself trying to issue a bunch of commands to
the modem, but each time they came back and said "missed expected carriage
return".  It eventually gave up, but my phone then started ringing!

Dialing <telno 23645>
on /dev/ucom0 at 9600 baud (10:24:25)

Trying ecu dialer
/usr/local/lib/ecu/ucom0.mi: No such file or directory
modem init string not found (using default 'ATE1Q0V1')
modem dial string not found (using default 'ATDT')
ATE1Q0V1
missed expected carriage return
got nothing
ATE1Q0V1
[...]
ATDT23645
missed expected carriage return
Cannot talk to modem

When it was over, I did a tip on the same device and it spewed a bunch of
garbage at me:

OK
AT
OK
ATQ0V1E1
OK
ATE1Q0V1
OK
AT
OK
ATQ0V1E1
OK
ATE1Q0V1
OK
AT
OK
ATQ0V1E1
OK
ATE1Q0V1
OK
ATE1Q0V1
OK
AT
OK
ATQ0V1E1
OK
ATE1Q0V1
OK
AT
OK
ATQ0V1E1
OK
ATE1Q0V1
OK
AT
OK
ATQ0V1E1
OK
ATE1Q0

So all the commands were going through, but somehow being buffered...?
Any knobs I can play with to help with this situation?

Thanks,

Mike