Escalde 7506-4LP PCI parity error on Asustek p2b-ds

Hiroharu Tamaru tamaru at myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Apr 19 03:54:54 PDT 2004

At Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:15:11 +0400,
Artem Koutchine wrote:

> > > twe0: <3ware Storage Controller> port 0xb800-0xb80f mem 0xe0000000-0xe07fff=
> > > ff,0xe0800000-0xe080000f irq 5 at device 11.0 on pci0
> > > twe0: PCI parity error: Reseat card, move card or buggy device present.
> > > (this line is repeated many times).
> > This is the original message I wrote back then:
> >
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+0+archive/2002/freebsd-hardware/20020623.freebsd-hardware
> >
> > I couldn't confirm if it were safe to ignore the message or
> > not, but I never had any trouble with it for the 1+ year
> > that I ran the system.  That includes mail alarting and
> > rebuilding the array through the 3dmd utility.  I use to run
> > JBOD, mirroring and RAID5 on that card.
>
> Thank you for replying. I just installed FreeBSD on
> that dual P2B-DS MB with 2 P3 550Mhz CPUs and
> run top. What i saw scred me. I saw 50% CPU LOAD on
> interupts. Nothing really was running, The system is just
> installed and it was my first login (as root). I thinj this
> 50% interupts load is somehow related to the error message.
> But this is just a guess. Is there any way to be make it sure?

I can't remember well, but PRINTING warnings could well had
been the reason.  Try my patch, and see if suppressing the
printf's themselves could save the CPU.  If not, well, it
could be scheduler related, and you might want to try
4-stable instead.

IIRC, my system was working without any noticable load while
the logging was turned off (using my patch).  I don't
remember well about how loaded it was with the logging
turned on.

Oh, here I found a note I wrote back then. It reads:
Updateing the BIOS changed this 'error' rate.  On P2B-DS,
The original BIOS with 4.5-PRELEASE kernel panic'ed.  BIOS
1.13 beta 1 gave some 12 err/sec rate where as BIOS 1.13
beta 7 gave 0.9 err/sec.

See if your BIOS is most recent as well.

Hiroharu Tamaru