RealTek support, moving from linux to freebsd (yes, I've readhardware notes)

Gunnarsson, Mikael Mikael.Gunnarsson at octapharma.se
Fri Apr 16 01:28:29 PDT 2004

> By the past, I've had many problems with realtek cards that were flagged
> as "supported" in FreeBSD hardware notes, so (for realtek only) I no longer
> trust hardware notes.

They are supported, but the realtek chips, especially the 8129 and 8139, are notoriously crappy. I don't know if the linux drivers manage to work around all the quirks better than the freebsd drivers do, but in either case your best bet is to get a real NIC instead.. Intel Pro/100 cards are cheap and work like a charm for budget servers, and are well supported under all BSDs and linuxes.

Mikael