nForce2 Soundstorm on 5.2.1 Release

Mikko S. Hyvarinen morphy at morphy.iki.fi
Sun Apr 11 07:03:41 PDT 2004

On Sunday 11 April 2004 06:14, Casey wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, which has a nVidia
> Soundstorm audio chipset on it.  However, I can't seem to get this
> chipset to detect in 5.2.1 Release, no matter what I try.  Being
> relatively new to FreeBsd, I don't really know that many ways to go
> about trying to get it to detect.  I was hoping someone out there might
> be able to tell me something to try, or at least confirm for me that
> this chipset doesn't currently have a driver that works, so I can stop
> banging my head against the wall.

Hello Casey,

The Realtek AC97 audio codec on the A7N8X Deluxe board is supported by the
pcm(4) driver. You need to build a kernel with "device pcm" in the
configuration and it will be detected at boot - with messages similar to this
in dmesg:

pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 5.0 (no driver attached)
pcm0: <Nvidia nForce2> port 0xc000-0xc07f,0xcc00-0xccff mem
0xe6080000-0xe6080fff irq 4 at device 6.0 on pci0
pcm0: <Avance Logic ALC650 AC97 Codec>

That multimedia device without a driver is the Soundstorm DSP, which is not
supported by any driver due to lack of documentation from nvidia.

Alternatively, if the kernel shipped in 5.2.1 release has /boot/kernel/pcm.ko,
you could try 'kldload pcm' to load it. I haven't tried using the pcm driver
as a module so I have no idea on whether or not it will work.

Regards,
 MSH