NICs not reconized - FreeBSD 4.9

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 19:55:22 PDT 2004

Augusto Castelan Carlson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Encore interface card with RealTek 8169s chipset and an
> integrated Broadcom 5788.
>
> For the first one I tried to install the FreeBSD driver from RealTek
> web site without success. I got from this site:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/RealTek/4-stable/re.tar.gz
> another driver and compiled the kernel, but on boot it reconizes
> another chipset (below) and the auto select always get 10Mbps Half. I
> would like to get 1Gbps.
>
> dmesg output:
> re0: <RealTek 8110S Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xec00-0xecff
> mem 0xdffff
> f00-0xdfffffff irq 10 at device 7.0 on pci0
>
> What are the correct steps to install this realtek driver correctely?
> And the broadcom 5788, can I make it work on FreeBSD 4.9?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Augusto

Did the default driver in bsd not work?  I would not compile it in until
I found one that worked.  Just load and unload modules, it makes life
easy.  You could try to tweak the default driver to recgonize your card
and it may just work.  Since you downloaded the driver you could try
looking at the differences between the web and system drivers with diff,
it may be 95% the same.