the new IC7-MAX3

molotov molotov at vusa.lt
Tue Oct 14 23:48:13 PDT 2003

Hello,

as most of you know,there is a recently released motherboard from ABIT,
the IC7-MAX3.  It seems, that it's features should satisfy anyone,  but
there is one problem.  The motherboard has a SATA RAID controller,  the
SiI  3114,  which is apparently not supported by FreeBSD-CURRENT.  As I
do not have much knowledge in  FreeBSD kernel hacking,  I just tried to
modify the source in some way and  added the PCI identifier of the 3114
controller to ata-chipset.c and ata-pci.h. After this, without any sata
drives attached, the raid controller was identified correctly and I was
quite happy, but after I've configured a raid0 array and booted FreeBSD
again, it hanged and it hangs all the time with this  "hacked"  version
of the FreeBSD kernel and disks attached. It doesn't depend on the type
of RAID array or anything else. With an unpatched kernel I just receive

> pci3: <mass storage, RAID> at device 3.0 (no driver attached)

Browsing through yesterday's logs I've found this:

> Oct 14 18:35:26 b17 kernel: atapci0: <SiI 311 SATA150 controller> port
> 0x9000-0x900f,0x8c00-0x8c03,0x8800-0x8807,0x8400-0x8403,0x8000-0x8007
> mem 0xf7000000-0xf70003ff irq 11 at device 3.0 on pci3

You can find the diffs,  the whole dmesg  and the output of pciconf -vl
at http://b17.vu.lt/diffs/ . You may wonder why the log says  "SiI 311"
and not  "SiI 3114"  - it's becouse I simply mistyped it's name :)  I'm
almost sure and I hope, that it isn't the couse. Oh, and the questions:

1. how soon could we expect the support of this controller in FreeBSD?
2. am I on the right way with the kernel hacking? ;)

Your help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

P.S. the files I've patched are in /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/

sincerely,
 Simonas Kareiva
 Sysadmin @ Vilnius University student's dormitories
 Lithuania