Dell Dimension 2400

Paul Breslaw paul at breslaw.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 06:41:30 PST 2003

I've just bought myself a nice spanking new Dimension 2400.  My first task
was to get RedHat Linux 8.0 running on it.  My second task will be to get
FreeBSD 4.9 also running on it.

Getting Linux going was a pain.  The X server didn't work, nor did the
Ethernet board.  I managed to solve both of these problems with a lot
of searching on the Web.

The X server problem was solved with a fix to XFree86 offered by Intel.
I suspect this fix is portable, so will also work with FreeBSD.

The Ethernet problem was solved by my discovering that the board is
made by Broadcom (BCM4400)  who also offer a Linux device driver,
but not one for FreeBSD.

What options do I have - if any?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards