Radeon 9600 Problem

Erik H. Bakke ebakke at trolltech.com
Thu Nov 20 01:27:14 PST 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 23:54, Darrell Blake wrote:
> I get the same error message when I try to run X in Linux and FreeBSD. I've
> configured the kernel to use the "radeon" driver but when I run "startx" I
> get an error. /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows this...
>
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)
> found (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> I can run X fine if I change the driver to "vesa" but I don't want to run
> in vesa mode. I want to have accelerated graphics =o) Please help, I really
> don't want to have to use Windows every time I want to see some accelerated
> graphics.

Just the same as I got when I was running XFree86 from ports.
The radeon driver in the current ports version does not recognize the Radeon
9600 chips.

They are supported in the latest development snapshots, though, so if you try
to compile and install one of them it should work with the radeon driver.

That's what I did to get my card up and running properly under X.

Hope this helps, best regards.
--
Erik H. Bakke