ATA problem with ASUS P4533-E

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Thu May 1 15:45:04 PDT 2003

Hello

I'm experiencing a strange problem with FreeBSD on my ASUS P4S533-E
board. The ATA controler (SiS) is not properly recognised when pluged
on HD (CD is ok). This prevent the box from booting, it hangs here :

    ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
    ata0: resetting devices...

I must use this in order to boot :

    set hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
    set hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"
    boot

(or the same into /boot/loader.conf)

and that put the ATA controler in ATA33 mode. According to this ML
archives and Google, this problem seems known for long, and both
FreeBSD 4.5, 4.7 and 4.8 Release shows the same behaviour.

Is there any patch out-there ? any trick I could use to put these ATA
into 100 or 133 mode ?
I'm really surprised that this issue is not addressed for long...

Pat
--
"Rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée, tout s'empile"
					- Mon bureau -