Looking for RealTek 8169-based NIC for testing

Bill Paul wpaul at FreeBSD.ORG
Mon Jun 30 11:29:38 PDT 2003

I've decided to pick up one of the projects I let lapse some time ago,
which was to add support for the RealTek 8139C+ chipset to the rl(4)
driver. The 8139C+ is, by default, backwards compatible with the
8139A/B/C/D/etc... but also supports a descriptor-based DMA mechanism,
TCP/IP checksum offload, VLAN tagging and extraction, and TCP large
send. RealTek also has an 8169 gigabit ethernet chipset with almost
the same programming mechanism as the 8139C+, so I decided to support
that too.

However, while I have a sample 8139C+ NIC for testing, I don't have an
8169 gigE card. I can probably pick one up, but I don't know who sells
cards with this chip on it. If anyone can positively identify a card
that has uses this chip, i.e. from D-Link, Netgear, or whoever, I'd
appreciate it if you could point it me at it. If it's something that
can quickly be acquired from CompUSA, even better.

Note: RealTek also has an 8110 LOM (Lan On Motherboard) chip, which I
_think_ is register compatible with the 8169, however I don't want to
buy a whole new motherboard. Ultimately, I may need to find someone who
does have one of these so they can verify that the driver does in fact
work with it though, so if you've got one, save this e-mail and watch
for a call for testers.

-Bill