which SATA controller (was Re: Which 160-180 GB ATA disk is reliable and fast ?)

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Sun Jun 15 22:55:18 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 01:29:00AM -0400, Lanny Baron wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> Gee, I was just in Germany but forgot to look you up!

Well next time ;-)

> IBM does not make drives any more. They are all now Hitachi. Hitachi
> Deskstar and Ultrastar.
> I have had 0 problems with the new Hitachi Drives in our Servers. We have
> lost only 2 drives (both SCSI) from Seagate.

Nice to hear. I want the IBM drives because of tagged queuing,
see ata manpage.

> Maxtor I would not touch with a 10 foot poll. WD has a problem with the
> connector on our Servers. So we dont use them.

o.k.

> My suggestion is to use SATA. And then use Seagate Barracuda 7.

Doesn't have IBM/Hitachi a suitable SATA drive because I want to
use tagged command queueing ?

If I would use SATA, which controller works best ?

I heard there are only some speaking SATA natively and others
need additional bridges to translate again into the parallel
bus system.

I heard Promise are the best, is that true for SATA as well ?

Which model would be the one that allows connection of 2-4
drives ?

Should run under FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE and 5.1.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/