fxp0: device timeout | SCB already complete (me too)

Shaun Jurrens shaun.jurrens at skoleetaten.oslo.no
Tue Jun 3 08:21:34 PDT 2003

I hate to say it, but I've had these for months starting at 4.6-stable
and continuing up to at least the latest 4.7-RRELEASE-p* . I have one
dual -current box that has exibited the same behaviour as well.

The boxes work just fine with the xl0 driver. Lots of different motherboards
and processors (all PIII) and a number of different Intel card revisions.
I can't run my squid boxes on fxp cards _at all_ for example, the fxp driver
will take the box down with it. On my firewalls it's locked up the
interfaces numerous times.

The only suggestion I can offer at the moment is to try various card
placements over your PCI slots. I've found stability using one of the first
two slots for my Adaptec controller (2940U[2]W, 29160[N]) and the rest
for the Intel nics.  This happens both with or without POLLING enabled.
I've tried a number of combinations of POLLING enabled/disabled, not
compiled in and different HZ settings. Obviously no POLLING on my SMP
boxes.

I know one or two others that have had problems with this too, but haven't
had the time or equipment at hand to work with any developers on getting
this fixed. I guess I got the equipment now (various PIII UP/SMP boards
from Gigabyte, Asus) and a little time if anyone wants to bite.

My guess is that the POLLING commits broke something, but that's just a
guess. I don't have any dc cards here, and no one has ever complained
about either them or the rl cards timing out.  There also seems to be
a definite correlation between the fxp problem and the ahc driver.

Ok, the rest of the "me too's" should now chime in with a bit of time
and energy. There's also a PR open on this: kern/45568 .

--
Med vennlig hilsen/Sincerely,

Shaun D. Jurrens
Drift og Sikkerhetskonsulent
IKT-Avdeling
Oslo Skoleetaten

gpg key fingerprint: 007A B6BD 8B1B BAB9 C583  2D19 3A7F 4A3E F83E 84AE