Looking for LCD Recommendations

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Mon Jul 28 08:20:20 PDT 2003

At 7:51 AM -0700 2003/07/28, Brian D. Moffet wrote:
>At 08:49 AM 7/28/2003 -0500, M. L. Dodson wrote:
>>Stephen J. Roznowski writes:
>>  > I'm looking to replace my 19" monitor with an 18"+ LCD screen.
>>  >
>>  > Anyone got some good recommendations for what is currently on the
>>  > market? Any brands to avoid?

>I own a ViewSonic VX900,
>http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vx900.htm which I purchased to
>use with 4 computers through a KVM switch (the four computers are 2
>SGI machines, a FreeBSD box, and a windows laptop.)  So far, since
>April or so, I haven't had a single problem with it, and I haven't
>even found a dead pixel.  It handles the sync-on-green that the O2
>and Octane want, and handles the Matrox G200 (old card) well under
>FreeBSD.

	A general note: we've had trouble with LCDs on KVMs. I think
Suns in particular tend to pick non-LCD-friendly resolutions (sync
rates) when they can't detect the monitor directly at boot. With
CRTs, they seem to pick a resolution that the CRT can handle
(1152x900 at 75Hz?), but I have to switch the KVM to booting systems
long enough for them to probe the monitor or the LCD doesn't work. I
have similar trouble with a Windows PC switching to an unsupported
signal format, presumably when the screensaver kicks in.

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
Rockefeller University:     <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>