File system stange behavior

David Yucht davey at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Jul 9 11:26:50 PDT 2003

Does sound like a hardware issue. I'd highly recommend checking your
memory first. Download a program called Memtest86 from memtest86.com; it's
a GPLed app that fits on a floppy and tests every bit of memory several
times. If there's a problem, it will find it. Occasionally it's found
problems with memory other diagnostic apps have missed. Just be warned a
good check run may take all day (several loops through the 11 tests).

Now, if it does detect a problem, don't flip out, just play with your
memory settings in bios first and slow things down, then retest. If it
still says there's an issue, try juggling slots and retest. If there's
_still_ an issue, well, you've got a bad module. Being the curious type,
that usually means to me that the module should be isolated and placed in
another system just to be sure it's not some goofy incompatibility with
the motherboard. Oh, and before I forget, subsequent tests after you find
an error don't need to be run all day, a good half hour or hour for one
pass of all tests is plenty.

Provided memory tests out fine, get the correct diagnostics tools from WD
and check you disks. I've got a feeling it is memory, though.

David Yucht